According to a release by Simpson Technologies Corp., the past six months has seen a series of foundries choosing Simpson's subisidiary Hartley Controls Corp. to supply mixer group automation systems. The various orders demonstrated the buyers' interest in achieving more consistent and higher quality molding sand preparation; better mixer performance; and lower operating costs relating to mixer supervision, sand related scrap, excessive cleaning room costs, and other process inefficiencies.
Among the recent projects, Simpson lists the following foundries that have installed Model 18Mk2-2552 Hartley Automatic Bond Determinators with compactability control:
- Alabama Castings (Aliceville, AL, installed on a Model 2.5G Simpson Mix-Muller;
- B.M. Metal Foundry Co., Ltd., South Korea, installed on a Model 85B B&P Speedmullor;
- Bradken Industrial, Wodonga, Australia, installed on a Model 55B B&P Speedmullor;
- Denizciler Dkmclk SAN. TIC. A.S., Turkey, installed on a turbine mixer;
- Dexter Co., Fairfield, IA, installed on a Model 100B-200 B&P Speedmullor;
- Han Hwang Cast Iron Co. Ltd, South Korea, installed on a Model 85B B&P Speedmullor;
- Hollaender Manufacturing Co., Cincinnati, installed on a Model 2.5G Simpson Mix-Muller;
- J. Walter Miller, Lancaster, PA, installed on a Model 2.5G Simpson Mix-Muller; also includes weigh hopper conversion (sold through sold through Summit Foundry Systems.)
The Hartley system was designed to automate the entire mixer group and precisely control green-sand compactability, which is the most important sand property related to good molding. When combined with a capable mixer, the Hartley control system is capable of accurately controlling prepared green sand within +/-3 compactability points from a desired set point. Simpson Technologies designs and manufactures technology and provides services for the metalcasting industry worldwide. Its primary products include batch and continuous molding sand mixing equipment, molding sand coolers, on-line mixer controls, core sand preparation systems, shell sand preparation plants, core machines, amine distribution systems, gas generation systems, core room odor control equipment, flaskless molding machines, mold handling systems, sand reclamation systems, sand laboratory equipment and foundry system design, engineering and automation systems.